Saturday, 24 Aug 2019
Home Improvement

Floor Plans and How to Draw One

By: SHRI Group

A floor plan is a diagram drawn depicting an entire building, a single room, or even one floor of a building. It can also be defined as a diagram of a structure or room viewed from above. A complete floor plan should measurements, appliances, furniture, and everything else obligatory to its purpose.  When marketing a property, a floor plan can be used in combination with high-quality photography to show it to its best.

Floor plans are valuable tools as they help design wiring systems, furniture layout, and overall room setups. These plans also help leasing companies and realtors rent or sell space.

The Significance of a Floor Plan Design

Floor plans play an important role when designing or building a home. A properly designed floor plan ensures proper utilization and flow of spaces, improved home value, and even makes the house more practical.

Characteristics of a Good Floor Plan

1. Flexible and Versatile

The floor plan needs to be versatile and flexible enough to allow future modifications when needed. An office space, for example, should be flexible/big enough to be converted into a child’s bedroom should the need for one arise.

2. Ideal Room Layout

Entertainment spaces should be far away from bedrooms, study rooms, and offices. The bathroom too shouldn’t face entertainment spaces or living rooms. The kitchen can be designed just next to living or dining rooms to enable one to interact with guests or the family while preparing meals. This also allows parents to keep an eye on their kids.

3. Size

The size of each room matters a lot in a floor plan. Several essential factors such as the number of people that will be using the room, their age, and possibility of furniture in the same should be considered when designing any room. How the room is to be used is another factor to consider as well.

4. Lifestyle and Priorities

The sustenance room, home office, and bedrooms should be placed strategically to serve their purpose. The entertainment room, for instance, needs to have an easy access from the kitchen to the living room and vice versa. For those working from home, it’s important to have the office designed in the quietest area of the house, and also ensure it gets enough natural light from the outside. The laundry room too needs to be ideally placed to avoid having to climb/descent several floors just to get your laundry done.

5. Find Balance Between Practicality and Architectural Details

Important factors such as the safety of your kids, heating, cooling, and cleaning should be considered when designing a floor plan. Don’t just go for a majestic staircase when you have seniors or young children around.

6. Communication with Floor Plans and Marketing

The floor of space is important when drawing a floor plan. Many homeowners today prefer floor plans that are practical but not just nice to have. According to research, 90% of new homeowners will only buy a house with a floor plan while the remaining 10% won’t mind it at all. In addition to this, homes with floor plans are much easier to market and sell too. A floor plan can also be used as a basis for a remodelling project in the future.

How to Draw a Floor Plan

1. Determine the area to be drawn

For existing buildings, decide how many floors, room, etc. of it are to be drawn. You need to determine how much space/area needs to be on the floor plan as well. For new buildings, brainstorm design ideas based on the shape and size of the area on which the building is to stand.

2. Take Measurements

For existing buildings, measure walls, doors, windows, and pertinent furniture to ensure everything is accurately documented. If you, however, are working on a new building, you’ll need the total measurements of the area to be built. It would be wise to examine other structures in the area to give you an idea of what to include/use for the floor plan.

3. Draw Walls

Add walls to each room while ensuring they are drawn to scale.

4. Add Architectural Features

Add architectural features to the space, and especially unchangeable things such as windows, doors, the dishwasher, refrigerator, dryer, and cooktops. Other essential appliances need to be factored in as well.